Jonathan Ochshorn: ochshornDesign.com banner for Jonathan Ochshorn's architectural practice

Tweet

Design-build addition to residence, Ithaca, NY

[Addition homepage]

Weeks 53-57: June 6, 2005 - July 10, 2005

[previous week] | [next week] | [week by week index]
construction
I build cabinets using left-over sub-flooring to fit into the openings in the existing bathrooms where windows were removed. The back of the cabinet (left) is designed to fit around studs in the former window opening (middle); it is then screwed into place (right).
construction
I buy a small quantity of select red oak flooring to match the floors in the existing house where the landing for stair #1 meets the side door leading into the existing kitchen. The nosings are ripped from old scaffolding planks.
construction
Susan paints the front door (left) and existing kitchen window; I begin framing a floor in the closet under stair #1 (right).
construction
We now have the classical modernist colors represented in the entry: mustard yellow on the front door, grey-blue on the "Bailey Hall" double doors (left), the same yellow on the existing window to the old kitchen, and red remaining from the original side door (right).
construction
The outside of the new side door is also painted yellow, as is the mezzanine door leading to stair #3 (not shown).
construction
The closet under stair #1 gets shelving made from more recycled scaffolding planks (2x12s) and verticals (2x6s). A "pull-up" stair allows access to space under the closet platform (right).
construction
The temporary treads for stairs #1 (left) and #2 (right) have already been removed and new treads put in place, cut from scaffolding planks (as you can see, we have a lot of scaffolding to recycle). I apply 3 coats of polyurethane to the stair and landing.
construction
We put a final plywood surface on the winders at the top of stair #1, and install our last door between the stair and the studio. The door's glass panels can be seen at the right of the image.
construction
At this point there are only two more tasks to complete the addition: building the final roof deck surface, and installing radiators and direct-vent furnaces (piping, electricity, and gas lines are already in place). We order pressure-treated lumber to provide a base for the roof deck, and order the deck material as well. In anticipation of its arrival, I build a temporary scaffold from old scaffolding material so that we can lift the roof deck supplies directly onto the exterior stair leading to the roof. We expect delivery on July 15, 2005.
construction
Radiators will be installed in the entry and bathroom. Susan paints old radiators that we have saved from our initial renovation of the old house in 1991.

[previous week] | [next week] | [week by week index]